Subject: Depression therapy treatment: Martial arts like tai chi for depression.
After careful thought, I decided to remove my former post addressing depression and how tai chi can help. Truth is that this condition is way too complicated to be placed into a small bubble of remedies. Feel free to practice tai chi, dance, sing, pray, meditate and listen to good music. It will help, but it will require the guidance of medical professionals.
For those of you who may feel you are depressed, common signs and symptoms include:
- Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. A bleak outlook—nothing will ever get better and there’s nothing you can do to improve your situation;
- Loss of interest in daily activities. No interest in former hobbies, pastimes, social activities, or sex. You’ve lost your ability to feel joy and pleasure;
- Appetite or weight changes. Significant weight loss or weight gain—a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month;
- Sleep changes. Either insomnia, especially waking in the early hours of the morning, or oversleeping (also known as hypersomnia);
- Anger or irritability. Feeling agitated, restless, or even violent. Your tolerance level is low, your temper short, and everything and everyone gets on your nerves;
- Loss of energy. Feeling fatigued, sluggish, and physically drained. Your whole body may feel heavy, and even small tasks are exhausting or take longer to complete;
- Self-loathing. Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt. You harshly criticize yourself for perceived faults and mistakes.
- Reckless behavior. You engage in escapist behavior such as substance abuse, compulsive gambling, reckless driving, or dangerous sports.
- Concentration problems. Trouble focusing, making decisions, or remembering things.
- Unexplained aches and pains. An increase in physical complaints such as headaches, back pain, aching muscles, and stomach pain.
Start by writing in a journal about how you truthfully feel and then make an appointment with your doctor, showing him/her these pages.
One suggestion is not to go through this alone. Find solace in numbers and seek help.
I wish Tai Chi can provide a cure. Unfortunately, it cannot.