The Kaizen Sensei Speaks About Pain

As a baby boomer, I’m writing this blog to address a subject matter that is intimate to us, people our ages.

 It is relentless.

It is undeniable.

It is bothersome.

It is that four letter word: PAIN.

I realize that pain attacks us in so many ways, more specifically, psychological, but today I’m  about how it affects our body, How we are reminded each and every freaking morning when we wake up. I apologize, but for the past 20 years, I’ve lived with it and, I’m sure, many of you will agree, it sucks.

I have already gone through the regimen of consulting doctors, physical therapists and chiropractors, taking over-the-counter drugs and herbs and supplements and the dangerous prescription pain medication, that I’ve chosen not to take, participated in various exercises that included Pilates, gym training, Qigong, Tai Chi, and yoga.

I’ve changed my diet and lost weight, which I’ve gained back, drank gallons of water, rubbed ointments, and practiced mindful meditation.

What I’ve found out is that, in my age (mid-60’s, class of 1971, whoooo whoooo), pain does not go away. The doctor suggests surgery, but after hearing about the success and failure rates, I’m not confident that it’s an option until such time it becomes a “no option” decision.  Right now, I have a choice.

So, I’ve got this wild hair to look into what we’re doing to deal with this. I’m going go through my own personal research and data mine facts and myth. I’m not going to say it’s anything near scientific, but it’s a journey I’m going to take, record and document.

Be forewarned, I’m going to take a “far out” hippie approach, review ideas and options like aroma therapy, sound and vibrations, affirmations, biofeedback, gut flushing, religion, spiritual, healing votices in Sedona,  Macchu Picchu and San Francisco’s Tenderloin (kidding about SF), and last but not least, cannabis and hemp.

So stay tuned.  The series begin when the Baby Boomer Sensei Speaks!