Hippies Can Still Make This World Be A Better Place for You and for Me!

I just read an article about more aging Americans are using canes and walkers, about 10 percent or more between 2004 and 2012 and I thought, wow, I'm an aging American.  What does that mean?Though I’m in my 60’s, I’m doing okay in getting from point A to B.  I may not have that spring in my step like I used to, playing full court basketball, and running for long bombs thrown by strong-armed quarterbacks.  That’s how it is.  I’ve already given into the fact that “I just don’t gots what I used to gots" moving slower and careful than before.


But you know what?  Moving slower doesn't mean cashing in your chips? 

Couple of years ago, I had this terrible scare.  I woke up one day with my knees and ankles on fire.  It progressed to a point where some days were worse than others, sending me to the chair and hobbling pitifully from place to place. Several in instances, I lacked the courage and energy to get up and move, staying still for as long as possible surrendering to the painful symptoms.  To my relief, the offending diagnosis was gout.  Several prescriptions later, I was good as rain.  Sad and truthfully so was that I thought I was destined to a life of limited mobility and misery for the rest of my life.

So when I read this article, flashes of my sitting on the couch and staying put, shot by me, empathizing the reasoning behind why canes and walkers are necessary to our generation.  When I was stuck to a chair, I realized the helplessness of the situation, the inability to live a basic life.  I can tell you, I NEEDED A CANE.

No one likes the consequences of getting old.  Sucks big time.

My memory is still good enough (thank God) to recall as if yesterday the things I did with a flexible, strong and athletic body, jumping off roofs, playing tackle football without pads, climbing up and down heavy equipment like a monkey, without fear of falling or injury.

I might not be as spry as I used to be, but I've decided to SAY NO to taking things slow.  I've still got what it takes to make a difference.  I did it when I wore tie-dyed shirts, bell-bottomed pants, and a Peace sign medallion on my chest, I can do it now.

So?  Guess what?  I don't like being a log. 

I've made this goal to not give-in to the wrinkles, bald head, creaky joints, irritable bowel syndrome, and weakened resolve to stay active, avoid a sedentary lifestyle, move about, exercise, get some sun (with sunscreen of course), and laugh a lot more (I was able to laugh more by turning off the news).

As a human being, at least that’s what I think that’s what I am, I feel I’m built, we’re all built, to move about.  I’m not that smart, but I’m pretty sure that it’s what God had in mind when we evolved into who and what we are.  Far be it to go against the creator’s plan.  Those of us that go against this plan find ourselves more in the doctor’s office, and I'm one who does not like doctor's offices.

My dad, God bless his soul, was one, despite his arthritis and various medical conditions, not to go down in a recliner.  He was out and about and went about his business as if he were a much younger man.

So to us baby boomers and older, get up and keep that well-oiled machine we call our bodies healthy.  To heck with the nuances like stiff joints (bone joints, just want to clarify) and jump up and do something like dance with the bodies our mommas gave us!

Remember, we did a lot to change this world in the 60's and 70's.  Don’t allow something as insignificant and stupid like old age stop us “Flower Generation” from contributing more to this world.  Get up and let's make some changes like we used to...and make this world a better place for you, for me, for our children, and the wonderful generations to come!  Right on, Power to the People.  And...



PEACE!